Thursday, March 19, 2009

Fulbright Conference in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

The Fulbright Regional Enrichment Conference was held in KL, Malaysia March 12-14. This was a nice treat - the opportunity to meet other Fulbright Senior Scholars and Fulbright Fellows (what a bright group of people!!!); learning about Malaysian culture and society (see me dancing?? - I am the one in the blue shirt); and having 2days in a 5-star hotel (TV, no insects, no mice, and the usual amenities). Some of the topics covered in the panel sessions: "The Role of the Arts in Modern Southease Asia"; "Issues in Public Health"; "The Changing Asian City: Urbanization, Migration and the Environment at Risk". Before the Fulbright meeting, I was invited to the University Teknologi Mara (UiTM) Faculty of Pharmacy to give a talk. Of course, there was lunch, gifts, and hospitality. My host even provided me with a Malaysian SIM card for my cell phone! This weekend I finally realized the value and impact of the Fulbright Program. I strongly encourage young people to apply - the experience will broaden your global perspective and your host country will benefit from your wisdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment