Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Reflections on the inauguration from afar (click here for link)

While you were (hopefully) watching history being made yesterday morning, I was also viewing the inauguration live on CNN.com, but it was almost midnight (the only English speaking TV channels I get are AlJazeera and Bloomberg). I was awed by the anticipation, the ceremony, the pomp and pagentry, Obama's speech. I was watching alone, desperately trying to stay awake, but at the same time I was so moved to see the thousands (millions?) of people on the Mall, so excited, so hopeful. Before the inauguration, I read this article (see link - click on the title to this post) in the Nation, one of Bangkok's English-language newspapers. This small, seemingly insignificant piece of news buried on the inside pages, made me realize what a great nation we live in. One lesson I have learned is that I will never take our liberties for granted!

No comments:

Post a Comment